Today is National Wear Red Day, the kick-off for American Heart Month and the Go Red for Women campaign.
Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women. Many buildings, including Raleigh’s Shimmer Wall, go red to help us remember.
- Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women age 20 and over, killing about one woman every minute, and one in three U.S. women die from cardiovascular disease.
- More women die of cardiovascular disease than the next five causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
- While 1 in 30 American women die of breast cancer, about 1 in 3 die from cardiovascular disease.
On the fun side:
- Go Red For Women is looking for women to share their heart stories and the choices they make to live a heart-healthy lifestyle, empowering others by example. If you share your story, you could be chosen to be a spokesperson for the cause. Casting call is from 5 to 7 p.m. at Macy’s at Crabtree Valley Mall.
- If you wear red to Macy’s Friday through Sunday you get a 20 percent discount.
- The Red Room Tapas Lounge will offer free heart-healthy appetizers to patrons as well as information on heart health from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. today, 510 Glenwood Ave.